Creating custom user attributes through the attribute manager
Attributes can be incredibly important when it comes to reporting, automations. Attributes additional information you can attach to the user, they can be anything you want for example:
- Date of birth
- Product name
- Consent to emails
Attributes will be included in exports and shown in tables, see below for an example of how this data is stored on the user
"segment-trait": "Performance Review"
Attributes on the users table
In order to create an attribute go to Settings > User attributes. Use the attribute manager to view existing attributes or create a new one
Add attribute to make a new attribute.
Creating a new attribute
- Label * = Name of the attribute and how it will appear on tables
- Description = Displays as a hotspot on tables for other admins / educators. For attributes collected on registration the description will display here also.
- ID = Inferred from the Label, spaces will be replaced with
-these IDs are important and required on all imports using attributes, you'll also need them to match up attributes in Zapier and Segment.
- Who can edit = Select which users have write access to this attribute (you may not want students to be able to update certain attributes ie Year group)
- Settings: - Hidden from user = These attributes will never be shown to users, they are for admins and educators only - Collect on registration = These attributes will be collected on registration when a user is setting up their account. If this option is selected you'll be prompted to select a question to ask students on the registration page
- Type* = Select the type from the dropdown, different types require different values, some may need you to define some options. See below for more
Once you've finished creating attribute save your changes, remember you can import custom templates for importing users that include all the required attribute IDs as column headers.