Assigning a course
Assigning and managing courses
After a course has been created it's time to give users access to a version that course, this is where Assignments come in, there are some important distinctions between Courses and Assignments:
- Courses group together items from your library
- Assignments are a version of that course set to a user group
- Once an assignment is created, changes to the source course will not be reflected in the assignment
- There can be multiple assignments of the same course.
Differences between an assignment and a course
Video walkthrough for courses and assignments
Navigate to the Assignments page via the main menu, and look for the Set assignment button in the top corner.
On the assignment detail page, select the course you'd like to assign and the group you want to create assignments for. From here you can change the name of your assignment to customise it to the group.
Nex select the assignment configuration, if you want to customise this configuration look for the edit pencil icon.
- Indefinite = Users can finish this assignment whenever they want, there is no deadline
- Exact date = Select a date users must have finished this assignment by
- Relative to start = Select a time period that users have to complete the assignment from when they start
- Immediately on finishing all items = Students won't need to have their assignment approved by an admin or educator to complete. If "assessment" is set to enabled, this criteria determines when the assessment test is unlocked. Otherwise, the assignment is finished when the criteria above is satisfied.
- Manual review = if enabled an educator or admin must pass or fail each assignment.
- Linear and fixed = Students cannot go back and redo items eg quizzes or surveys (they can still go back and view content)
- Linear but flexible = Students can repeat items like quizzes and surveys, content is still locked so they must complete and item to move onto the next.
- Enabled = Students will get a system generated certificate upon assignment completion
Once you're happy with the configuration you can Activate the assignment. You'll be take to the assignment groups page. Here you'll be able to check on the students in that group, where they're up to on the assignment and who's not started.
Once a course has been assigned something called an 'assignment group' is created. When viewing an assignment group which you'll find on the main assignments page. Clicking into an assignment group gives you an overview table of each users progress.
To add another user to this assignment group, to to the associated user group, and add in the user from there. New members to that group will automatically get a copy of the assignment at the moment it was assigned
More on viewing assignments in the article below